1. About the OlympusMons Awards
The OlympusMons Awards were set up by Huawei in 2019 to recognize global academicians working in the field of data storage.
Data is the new factor of production in the digital economy. It is also a foundational and strategic resource. Explosive data growth and emerging applications have pushed conventional infrastructure to its limits, demanding innovations in efficient, resilient, and green storage for mass data. Enterprises, universities, and research institutes in the industry are all working towards achieving these common goals.
The OlympusMons Awards are intended to guide global academic research on data storage and facilitate the industrial application of such research, thus promoting mutually beneficial outcomes for the industry, universities, and research institutes. The Awards will help the world tap into the benefits of digital technologies and transform industries as we continue our journey towards an intelligent future.
1. Entries to the OlympusMons Awards will be scored on a fair, impartial, objective, and professional basis.
2. The full execution of the preceding principle will be ensured by restricting the system and process.
This Memorandum is formulated to ensure the standard and fair scoring of entries to the OlympusMons Awards.
1. The awards are collectively called the "OlympusMons Award" and "OlympusMons Pioneer Award". There will be two OlympusMons Award winners and five OlympusMons Pioneer Award winners. If no one is eligible for the OlympusMons Awards, the Review Committee will decide whether to hand out one to five Pioneer Awards depending on the selection results.
2. Winners (individuals and teams) will receive support for their scientific research in the form of a technical communication channel established with the Huawei OlympusMons Innovation Lab.
6. Conditions for Entry
To enter the OlympusMons Awards, candidates must:
1. Be individuals or teams involved in data-related technology research.
2. Be conducting research in fields related to the challenges that the OlympusMons Awards are focused on.
We welcome entries from the data storage field, including but not limited to areas such as storage system architecture, media & media application, network-storage collaboration, storage algorithm, data enablement and governance, data resilience, and data protection.
Each OlympusMons Award winner will be awarded CNY 1 million (about USD 137,883) and each OlympusMons Pioneer Award winner will receive CNY200,000 (about USD 27,479) for their work. The bonuses are allocated over a span of two years, with 50% of the funding being disbursed to each winner each year.
9. Advisory Committee
The Advisory Committee comprises widely renowned and respected professionals from the data storage field and other related fields. The committee's responsibilities include strategically guiding the selection process for the OlympusMons Awards, contributing to the new partnership between the academic and data storage ecosystems.
10. Review Committee
The Review Committee is composed of authoritative experts in the storage field. The Review Committee is responsible for the reviewing, screening, and scoring of entry materials in accordance with the regulations in this document.
11. Management Committee
The Management Committee is the operating and decision-making body established especially for the OlympusMons Awards. Its responsibilities include specifying the members of the Review Committee and the Supervising Committee, ensuring fair scoring of all entries to the Awards in compliance with this Memorandum.
12. Supervising Committee
The Supervising Committee comprises accounting, legal, and audit professionals, and is responsible for advising on and supervising entry submission, scoring, and conflict handling.
Judges are selected by the Management Committee. Judges may be:
1. Experts in universities or research institutes who are invited by the Management Committee
2. Individuals who have applied to be judges according to our criteria.
14. Entry Submission
1. The OlympusMons Awards are held annually. After the release of challenges in the current year, the submission, scoring of entries, and the announcement of the winners will be launched successively.
2. Entries will be scored in an objective, fair, just, and rigorous manner throughout the following process: submission - initial scoring - final scoring – announcement of the winners and award presentation.
3. Candidates must complete the template and submit their entry and their supporting materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by the specified deadline.
15. Scoring Criteria
Entries will be scored from the perspectives of technical and commercial value. To be specific:
1. Technical Value
Goal achievement: The degree to which the entry addresses the challenge.
Innovativeness: Whether the entry applies new theories, methods, or techniques to address the challenge.
Maturity: The readiness of the solution for production or real-world application (verification, model, prototype, or mass production).
2. Commercial Value
Applicability: Whether the entry can be commercialized.
Extensibility: Whether the entry has the potential to be further developed.
Economic benefits: Whether the entry provides social or economic benefits.
16. Winner Announcement
The names of the winners will be published on the OlympusMons Awards website alongside their organizations, research fields, and the challenge that they chose to address.
17. Use of the Title
Winners have the right to describe themselves in public (including on their resumes) as OlympusMons Awards winners. They should use the full name of the OlympusMons Award title and its logo as published on the OlympusMons Awards website.
18. Responsibilities of the Winners
1. During the period of funding, winners (both individuals and teams) should regularly communicate with Huawei storage team about the research progress of the entry.
2. Huawei will have priority when it comes to cooperation agreements with the winners that are based on their entries and work.
3. Winners (both individuals and teams) should participate in at least two academic exchanges initiated by Huawei Data Storage and the OlympusMons publicity activities. The specific time and content will be agreed upon by both parties separately.
All persons involved in the operation of and scoring for the awards are obligated to keep all related information confidential according to the non-disclosure agreement they are required to sign.
20. Disclosure and Avoidance
The judges shall promptly and proactively disclose their relationship with the candidates, for example if they are their nominators, competitors, colleagues, tutors, relatives, and so on. The Management Committee and Supervising Committee shall jointly decide whether a judge should abstain from scoring an entry.
21. Publication, Amendment, and Interpretation of the Memorandum
This Memorandum may be amended by the OlympusMons Awards Management Committee and interpreted by the Management Committee. It must be jointly approved by the Review Committee and the Supervising Committee.
This Memorandum takes effect on the date of issuance.
OlympusMons Awards Management Committee