A securities brokerage-service system is an integral part of the core transaction system for securities business centers to secure stock exchange transactions. Such systems are crucial for securities companies to gain the trust of customers, and generally also include the capability to buy and sell securities based upon customer requirements.
Securities brokerage service systems have continually evolved from manual processing, to single business offices to regional centralization, and now into more broadly centralized solutions. This progression has scaled services to unprecedented larger sizes. A common goal for the IT departments of securities companies is to improve transaction system efficiency and performance.
Hundsun Technologies Inc. is a leading Chinese supplier of financial software and network services. Hundsun’s brokerage service operations platform is noted for its industry-leading technical and service architectures, product performance, stability, flexibility, and scalability. Companies such as CITIC Securities, China’s largest full-service investment bank, have used the Hundsun platform. The field-proven and mature Hundsun platform not only meets customers’ service segmentation and division demands, but also supports scale-out capacities greater than 10 million customers.
Hundsun has introduced its next-generation centralized transaction system, UF 2.0. To date, many of China’s top securities companies utilize UF 2.0, including CITIC Securities, Huatai Securities, GF Securities, Changjiang Securities, Founder Securities, Industrial Securities, and Southwest Securities. As UF 2.0 grows in popularity, more customers have become interested in leveraging the performance potential of UF 2.0 in system deployment and Operations and Maintenance (O&M). In the face of huge, complicated middleware deployments, Hundsun is urgently looking for simple, efficient management approaches that incorporate both software and hardware investments to accommodate refined customer requirements in today’s market.
To this end, Hundsun has collaborated with Huawei to perform a series of tests on the UF 2.0 system running on Huawei’s hardware environment in Huawei’s Hangzhou Lab. The collected statistics from these tests are saved for future reference to be used alongside real-world project implementations.
KunLun + Dorado: Combining High Reliability and High Performance
To meet the performance and stability criteria expected for brokerage operations platforms, the Huawei solution features both high-level performance and high reliability. This solution implements two of Huawei’s foremost products: KunLun Mission Critical Server and OceanStor Dorado all-flash storage.
Huawei’s KunLun Mission Critical servers use a Cache Coherent Non-Uniform Memory Access (CC-NUMA) system built on Intel® Xeon® E7 4800/8800 processors and Huawei-developed Hi1503 chips. The CC-NUMA system supports the seamless scaling of eight processors at a time for a server. Currently, KunLun server models include KunLun 9008, 9016, and 9032, which have 8, 16, and 32 processors, respectively.
- KunLun Servers Provide Optimal Reliability
• Changes fault management from reactive to proactive protection.
• Provides a fully-redundant architecture that is implemented using on-chip, firmware, and Operating System (OS)-level fault tolerance that prevents system failures from impacting service continuity.
• Supports in-service (live) maintenance of core components, such as CPUs and Dual In-Line Memory Modules (DIMMs). While traditional architectures support live maintenance for 55 percent of system breakdowns caused by component failures, the KunLun RAS 2.0 technology improves this figure to over 90 percent due to a zero-breakdown maintenance design.
• Supports physical partitioning (K-Par) technology that prevents faults from spreading across partitions.
- OceanStor Dorado V3 Storage Ensures Optimal Performance
Huawei’s OceanStor Dorado V3 storage system is a next-generation, all-flash storage product that accommodates interoperation with traditional storage products and the flexibility to accommodate future storage technology developments. The Dorado V3 platform meets the requirements for large and midsize enterprises with large-capacity storage, high-speed access, high availability, high utilization, energy savings, and ease-of-use.
• High performance and low latency: OceanStor Dorado V3 improves performance by a factor of ten by providing 4 million Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPS) with a super-fast latency of 500 μs.
• Huawei-developed SSD: Huawei is the first and only vendor to incorporate the Flash Translation Layer (FTL) algorithm into its in-house Solid-State Drive (SSD) control chip to maximize the lifespan of the product. The Huawei SSDs deliver a 40 μs latency, which ranks first in the industry.
• Dedicated flash memory optimization controller: The controller utilizes 56 Gbit/s InfiniBand host ports at the front end, a next-generation PCIe 3.0 internal bus, and 12 Gbit/s SAS 3.0 high-speed disk ports on the back end for high-speed end-to-end channels between blade servers. The storage system uses Huawei’s unique dual-uplink SAS configuration that doubles the transmission speed relative to other similar products. The intelligent partitioning technology is applied to CPUs to improve concurrent service processing performance. In addition, the cache algorithm is optimized to improve data queries and interpolation speeds.
• FlashLink improves storage performance: Huawei’s unique FlashLink technology is built on Huawei-developed SSDs and controllers. FlashLink reduces the volumes of garbage collection through global hot and cold data partitions. By intelligently adjusting I/O priorities, FlashLink preferentially responds to host data read/write I/O requests over secondary I/O requests, which results in greatly reduced latencies. Additionally, FlashLink uses large sequential data block write technology to improve overall storage performance. This technology combines multiple small random data blocks into one large sequential data block before writing them to the SSDs.
• Linear expansion: IOPS increase linearly with the number of engines to predictively satisfy future service needs.
- Solution Certification Environment
Two Dorado V3 storage devices form an active-active disk array system. A two-node Oracle RAC cluster is deployed on this system. The two cluster compute nodes of the Oracle RAC cluster are separately deployed on two KunLun 9016 servers. The following figure shows the networking scheme.
The networking scheme of Huawei KunLun solution hardware environment
• The Oracle RAC cluster consists of two KunLun servers. A private network is set up inside the cluster through 10 GE switches.
• The Oracle RAC cluster connects to each Dorado V3 storage device through two 8 Gbit/s Fibre Channel (FC) switches.
• Dorado V3 storage devices, KunLun servers, RAC cluster server nodes, Oracle test clients, and FC switches are managed over a GE network.
Lower TCO and Faster Innovation for Securities Customers
Together, Huawei and Hundsun have jointly developed a securities core transaction system solution that builds on x86 servers and all-flash storage. With 24/7 reliability and low latency, this field-proven solution empowers customers in the securities industry to achieve lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and deliver financial service innovations faster than ever before possible.
Today, it is clear that trillion-level transaction volumes will become commonplace in the securities industry. Service interruptions must be minimized through the use of proactive prevention measures that ensure high levels of business service continuity. Further, the policies for media management have also become stricter. Securities traders expect zero faults, and it is the job of the IT service departments to prevent any and all service interruptions. The joint, comprehensive securities transaction solution developed by Huawei and Hundsun prevents system faults from affecting service continuity with the following features:
• Implementation of active-active KunLun servers, Dorado dual-flash storage arrays, and Oracle RAC databases. The resulting benefits include fail-safe storage without the need for gateways; failover recovery in seconds; unbreakable business continuity; and a low risk for single points of failure.
• KunLun servers support real-time monitoring and analysis of the operating status of application processes and components, and provide preventative warnings when necessary. Potential faults are proactively identified and promptly isolated. All of these features operate with an ultra-high reliability of 99.9996 percent. The theoretical annual downtime is less than 5 minutes.
• An intelligent detection technology achieves continuously reliable transactions by automatically isolating high-latency disk arrays. Additionally, end-to-end silent data protection ensures data consistency.
• Enterprise-grade storage, multi-control-center design, and FlashLink (at 99.999 percent reliability) create a solid foundation for system stability.
• Global disk protection delivers the industry’s highest levels of reliability.
Securities companies continuously pursue innovation in transaction system technologies, especially in the areas of improved stability, higher performance, and lower latencies. To handle future growth, the collaborative solution between Huawei and Hundsun is designed with the following goals to meet the expected requirements for future securities companies’ products:
• Support for 150,000 transactions per second in a stable and continuous manner that will easily scale to handling trillions of transactions.
• Provide latencies of less than 500 μs, which is 1 millisecond to 1.6 milliseconds lower than traditional systems. Lower latencies will increase the transaction volumes by 12 percent and smooth the traffic spikes caused by the large transaction bursts that occur as the securities trading markets open and close.
• Provide ultimate query proficiency to improve overnight settlement capabilities by 50 percent, and expand the effectiveness of the operations query platform by 20 times.
Hundsun’s core transaction platform is combined with Huawei’s highly reliable KunLun servers and high-performance Dorado V3 storage platform to build a next-generation open ecosystem that will help securities customers lower their TCO and accelerate technology innovation throughout the industry.