Trends and Challenges
To quickly adapt to the challenges created by new services and address problems on existing networks, today's network architecture must be transformed. Rapid developments of such new services as mobile applications, cloud computing, Big Data, social networking, and the Internet of Things (IoT) are driving network administrators to impose ever-higher requirements on real-time performance, mobility, scalability, and high-quality experience guarantees.
Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution is a next-generation network solution available now for all enterprise customers. The agile network makes use of the latest ideas and research into Software-Defined Networking (SDN). By providing features such as a fully programmable architecture, quality awareness and smooth evolution, the Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution enables networks to provide responsive and flexible services.
Traditional networks are no longer able to accommodate these requirements because they focus on technologies, devices, and connectivity. Today, that is not enough.
Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution
The Huawei solution accommodates requirements for the network of the future. It concentrates on users, automatic network resource deployment and fault location, and fine-grained network management. An Agile Controller, agile switches, and security resource center eliminate many tricky problems of traditional networks, including a lack of experience guarantees, low-efficiency deployment, single-point security protection, and slow response to threats and attacks.
Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution architecture
Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution features three architectural innovations specifically for enterprise campus networks:
- Huawei is the first company to apply SDN architecture to enterprise campuses and provide them a "smart brain" — the Agile Controller — that centralizes control of the agile network, including the egress router and SSL VPN (SVN). The Agile Controller also dynamically allocates network resources, enabling the resources to flexibly move based on user location. In this manner, a high-quality service experience can be guaranteed for each user in a mobile environment. In addition, the Agile Controller allocates security resources over the entire network, creating a collaborative protective shield.
- Huawei replaces traditional switches with agile switches that create an "agile body" for the campus network. With these agile switches, the Huawei solution provides automatic fault detection and improved performance. This solution can detect users and applications, network quality and faults, and security events.
- Huawei's security resource pooling turns individual security resources such as firewalls into a resource pool shared network-wide.
Solution Highlights and Benefits
The solution is user-centric; its service-friendly architecture enables networks to proactively adopt new services. It automatically deploys network resources, locates faults, and provides fine-grained network management.
- Free Mobility: New Experience of Mobility
- The Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution is the first network to associate user rights, bandwidth, and priorities with persons, and providing users a consistent mobile office experience. The Agile Controller, based on SDN technology, enables centralized user policy definitions. These range from one-stop network Operation and Maintenance (O&M) to access policy planning, to network deployment. The access policies encompass headquarters campus and branch access, and remote and mobile office access policies. The Agile Controller also controls user group-based policies, including policies from a user group to a resource group, from a resource group to a user group, and across user groups. In addition, policy deployment no longer requires tedious machine language but, rather, employs easy-to-understand, natural language-based coding.
- United Security: From Single-Point Security Protection to Comprehensive Network Protection
- To help enterprise administrators secure their entire campus network, including remote branches, Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution leverages Big Data analytics and SDN ideas to integrate and schedule security capabilities that implement united security. Security devices are virtualized into a security resource center, which means that deployment and use of these devices are not subject to the constraints of physical locations. As a result, security intrusions can be detected at any location. The solution fully addresses issues such as the large number of security threats that exist in a mobile environment and single-point firewalls that cannot protect the network.
- Wired and Wireless Convergence: Simplifying Network O&M Management
By converging user authentication and management functions, Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution provides unified authentication and access policy control for wired and wireless users. This provides a consistent user management experience for network administrators. For example, a converged Access Controller (AC) enables unified wired and wireless traffic forwarding, completely eliminating the traffic bottlenecks caused by the traditional centralized forwarding function of AC devices and cards. As a result, an agile switch can attain Terabit-level forwarding.
Huawei's innovative Super Virtual Fabric (SVF) technology virtualizes box access switches into cards and Access Points (APs) into ports on a core or aggregation chassis switch. In this way, the entire campus network can be easily managed like a switch.
- Quality Awareness: First to Allow the IP Network Itself to Be Aware of Service Quality
- Huawei's unique Packet Conservation Algorithm for Internet (iPCA) technology enables the IP network itself to detect service quality. If a user's experience becomes degraded, the network can quickly detect the poor experience, precisely locate the fault, and provide detailed quality records, helping network administrators determine what has affected the user's service experience.
- Fully Programmable & Smooth Evolution: First to Apply SDN Architecture to Campus Networks
- Huawei-developed Enterprise Network Programmable (ENP) chips enable devices' forwarding functions to evolve to future standards. When a new function is added to switches using Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) chips, customers have to replace the old devices because the ASIC chips are unprogrammable. Additionally, to implement a new function, customers have to wait for a long time period (standards -> chips -> devices). After deploying agile switches using Huawei's ENP chips, customers can self-define devices' forwarding behaviors on the Agile Controller, greatly reducing time for provisioning new functions and services and enabling networks to be SDN-ready.
Each of Huawei's agile devices is configured with dual control planes: the traditional network plane and the enhanced control plane (the Controller). Huawei's agile devices can seamlessly converge with users' live networks, implementing an easy evolution from a traditional network to an agile network and maximizing users' Return on Investment (ROI).
Huawei Agile Campus Network Solution is applicable to campuses used by a broad variety of enterprises: schools, hospitals, governmental office buildings, public utilities, energy resource industries, and many more.
Huawei is backed by 20 years of accumulated experience in the IP field and a full series of network products and solutions. Recognized as a leading global network solutions provider, Huawei's long-term plan for network development includes expanding its world-leading research and development into future network architectures. Huawei has global facilities with world-class experts plus extensive experience in pre-research into network standards and chip development.
As a member of ONF, IETF, and IEEE, and other standards organizations, Huawei participates in SDN standards research. Huawei has contributed to areas of network migration to SDN, including product development and improvement in customization. Huawei also plans to provide more intelligent, programmable, and open networks through its respected carrier-grade network experience and innovative products and solutions.