HM Hospitales Implements Cloud Medical Care with Huawei Desktop Cloud Solution
HM Hospitales is a private hospital established in 1989. In Madrid, this hospital has six branches and about 4,000 medical care personnel. HM Hospitales is dedicated to providing first-class medical care and health care services for patients and customers with the most professional medical care personnel and most advanced medical care technologies. Among private hospitals in Madrid, HM Hospitales is the first to meet the DIN EN ISO 9001:2008 certification and functions as one of leaders in the Spanish medical care industry.
The medical care industry in West Europe is one of the most mature industry market applying virtualization technologies and HM Hospitales prides itself on pioneering the application of advanced information technologies. For example, HM Hospitales has deployed a patient information management system, system applications and products in its data processing (SAP) system, and an Office Automation (OA) system in its branches and generalized informatization management on its research, education, and training systems.
HM Hospitales has six branches whose IT equipment for their information and OA systems is deployed, managed, and maintained independently. As a result, they encountered the following problems:
- Information sharing deficiency, hindering diagnosis efficiency — Since each branch has an independent IT system, no unified information management and sharing platform is provided. Furthermore, the medical care, OA, and research systems of various branches are independent of each other, causing bloated and scattered systems. Their conventional IT desktop systems are not convenient for mobile access and information query during medical care and diagnosis. An integrated IT system is urgently needed for HM Hospitales to share information among branches, facilitate access and information availability whenever and wherever, and improve work efficiency.
- High purchasing costs, low equipment utilization, and complicated O&M — As IT systems and automated equipment are widely used in the medical care industry, hospitals have increasing concerns about the related maintenance, management, and cost issues. Since the IT systems of six branches of HM Hospitales are independent, the development and increase of investment on information service systems for each branch highlights problems like high purchasing costs, difficult maintenance, and low utilization for the company.
- Information security loopholes — Some sensitive hospital data, such as patient profiles and medical care files, are prone to attack and being leaked using in the conventional IT system. HM Hospitales plans to integrate the information and OA systems of the six branches to increase the system manageability, reduce purchasing and operating costs, improve operating efficiency, reduce equipment space, and ensure that the overall IT system architecture works efficiently.
Upon careful review of technologies and solutions, HM Hospitales decided to adopt the Huawei FusionCloud Desktop Cloud Solution — one of solutions proposed by TRC (Huawei’s channel partner in Spain and also HM Hospitales’ IT equipment supplier), to virtualize its OA system. A cloud data center was built and Thin Clients (TCs) are used to help HM Hospitales build a green, secure, efficient, and easy-to-maintain desktop cloud OA system. In the first phase, 250 TCs were provided to the hospital.
This end-to-end Huawei FusionCloud Desktop Cloud Solution uses Huawei hardware devices, such as its E6000 blade server and S5500T storage device, within Huawei’s virtualization platform, FusionSphere. These software and hardware devices are the virtualization infrastructure of the desktop cloud system deployed for HM Hospitales and construct its cloud data center. TRC was responsible for building the data center and O&M, to ensure remote access for hospital users.
Huawei FusionAccess was used as the desktop cloud service software. In addition to its desktop access function, FusionAccess provides unified O&M for the desktop cloud system. With FusionAccess, IT administrators within minutes can deploy multiple desktops using Virtual Machine (VM) templates, thereby automating expansion. Also, Huawei provided various IT optimization tools for IT administrators to automatically upgrade the VM software in the system and maintain updated virus databases. Compared with a conventional PC system, the desktop cloud system improves O&M efficiency by more than 10 times.
To ensure high security, the Huawei FusionCloud Desktop Cloud Solution provides terminal access authentication, user rights authentication, user activity auditing, data transmission encryption, content encryption, and rights management. All office data is centrally stored in the back-end data center, and local TCs have no hard disks. All these measures ensure the highest level of data security.
TCs have replaced the conventional computers and contributed to the creation of a work environment with low noise and low heat dissipation. The desktop cloud system adopts the Browser/Server (B/S) architecture so that users have the mobility to access the system using TCs anywhere.
After the FusionCloud Desktop Cloud Solution was deployed, TRC is able to deploy desktops quickly and now has centralized O&M and low OPEX. HM Hospitales has reduced its power consumption, ensured information security, improved their office environment, and decreased IT expenditure.
- Quick deployment and labor savings: After the IT system was built for the HM Hospitales, TRC is responsible for O&M. With the desktop cloud system, all services and applications can be centrally managed using the data center through the VM templates. IT administrators prepare VM templates for different types of users. When a user account is created, they can deploy the desktop environment for that user within minutes. Compared to the previous systems, deployment efficiency has increased by more than 50 times and the deployment and management workloads of TRC have significantly decreased.
- Centralized remote O&M, improved efficiency, and reduced O&M costs: The Huawei FusionCloud Desktop Cloud Solution enables IT administrators to upgrade software, update the virus database, and provision application software in a unified manner that simplifies the management, scheduling, and deployment of virtual desktops. Compared with the conventional PC system, the desktop cloud system has O&M efficiency improvement of more than 10 times. In addition, remote maintenance helps decrease maintenance costs and increase profits.
- Resource utilization improved, power savings realized, and improved environment: Virtual desktops can be allocated on demand, achieving flexible scheduling and maximizing IT resource utilization. Compared with conventional PCs, TC-based virtual desktops reduce power consumption by up to 70%. As TCs have no fans, less noise and a better medical care environment is created.
- Information security improved: In the FusionCloud Desktop Cloud Solution, TCs and data are separated. Doctor and patient information is stored in the data center, centralizing data sharing, backup, and management. Sensitive hospital data, such as patient profiles and medical care files, are safeguarded by security mechanisms such as access authentication and transmission encryption. Only authorized hospital personnel can access the data through virtual desktops whenever and wherever they require.