IP-based systems and applications hold great promise for improving the efficiency of metering and managing electric power, but need an underlying communications and data collection platform to be effective.
On the other hand, manual metering processes are costly and do not support Smart Grid automation and management technologies. Specifically they:
- Do not provide reliable access to real-time data for monitoring and control
- Cannot detect line losses between meter reading cycles, causing waste, environmental pollution, and safety concerns
- Limit billing and payment options such as prepaid services based on multiple rate structures.
With Huawei’s IP-based metering solution, you can migrate your power company to fully automated Smart Grid applications, expand your service areas, and branch into new services such as gas, water, and smart appliances.
While manual processes are costly, prone to error, and do not scale as grids expand, Huawei’s IP-based metering platform is built on reliable Huawei networking and data center products for reliable Smart Grid applications.
Server and database systems provide backup and automated failover, with uptime performance from 99.67 percent (Tier 1) to 99.99 percent (Tier 4):
- AR530 industrial switching router
- S5700 Ethernet switches for access, aggregation, and data transport functions
- RH2x88 servers — high-performance, energy-saving servers for the Data Collection Platform (DCP), Meter Data Management System (MDMS), customer service, and billing systems
- S5500T storage disk array for data storage, backup, and failover
Huawei’s metering infrastructure also provides scalable networking and transmission options:
- Interconnects wide area, neighborhood area, and local area networks with wired, wireless, and fiber-optic transmission technologies
- Optimizes downstream communications using Huawei’s OptiX Optical Transport Network (OTN) platform as a Data Concentrator Unit (DCU) that supports data traffic over IP and WDM
- Uses smart meters with General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) or upgrades
- Upgrades infrastructure with Huawei’s broadband PLC chip — secure, 2 Mbit/s broadband at the application layer
Equipment failures, surges, and line losses can be quickly detected and trigger appropriate responses.
All components are engineered to meet Huawei’s high quality and interoperability standards. As a result, the solution is not only tightly integrated, but also fully compliant with the Huawei eSight Unified Network Management System:
- Simplifies control and management of complex networks of up to 50 million meters
- Customizes processes and settings with simple GUIs
- Implements secure VPN access for remote terminals
A Software Development Kit (SDK) is available for you to customize and extend your Smart Grid applications. The future will look even brighter with your ever-improving Huawei Smart Grid infrastructure — more efficiencies and cost reductions, increased energy conservation, and more smart applications.